Protective Styling-Bun (When Hair is Short to Neck Length)

Protective Styling-Bun (When Hair is Short to Neck Length) I wore my hair in a bun about 3 years ago when my hair was shorter (about neck length). When I attempted to do my buns at this length without a pony tail holder, it didn't look good at all (at least not to me anyway, LOL!). So, back then I decided to use to a ponytail holder.

Instructions on how to do this bun (when your hair is neck length):

1.) Use a ponytail holder soaked in black castor oil or any other essential oils like jojoba, sweet almond, olive oil, etc. (this is to help prevent breakage at the point where the ponytail holder is located and to keep that area moisturized).

2.) Comb your hair back (or however way you would normally where a ponytail).

3.) Once your hair is in a ponytail separate into 3 sections.

4.) Take each section and put in two strand twist

5.) Take each twist and wrap around in opposite directions and secure with bobby pins.

Viola, it's that simple! Now you can do your own bun without using weave, how awesome is that?!?!?!! Have fun with it, accessorize with hair sticks, fancy barrettes, or stick a flower in those pretty strands! This style can be as super chic and sexy as you would like!!!

Tip: Remember the goal of protective styling is preventing damage to ends, growing hair, and retaining length. So when doing this style, try to use bobby pins that are not made of metal. Metal bobby pins have a tendency to slice the hair, causing split ends. If all you have are metal bobby pins, soak them in olive or castor oil before adding them to your hair.

I am an African American woman who started a website http://thinhaircangrow.com for the purpose of teaching women about healthy hair care practices for thin and fine hair. I have learned so much on my healthy hair journey and want to share it with as many women as possible.